[Samba] Resetting permissions on transferred files

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 18 16:42:08 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 16:28:01 +0000
Piers Kittel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I've set up a new Samba server for our small office.  As it's
> completely separate to the old one, I had to use rsync to transfer
> files over to the new server.  Unsurprisingly, the permissions on the
> freshly transferred files are incorrect - what's the best way to
> reset permissions?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Cheers - Piers

If you setup Samba on the new server exactly the same as on the old one
and ran rsync correctly, you should have got the same permissions.

The problem you have now is that you will have to identify who owns
what and chown/chmod the folders/files to the new correct owners:groups.

It might help if you gave us more info other than the basic 'it did not
work' you have already given us.

Rowland