[Samba] samba group root:"domain users" not found

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 21 11:04:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:27:04 +0100
marco pirola via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> getent group ROBINOOD\\'Domain Users'
> ROBINOOD\domain users:x:10513:
>
> but if i insert  winbind use default domain = yes in my smb.con and i
> tent ssh puma(local account) witch relatived password the system
> waits without getting the command prompt

Have you run 'net cache flush' ?

this should work:

rowland at devstation:~$ ssh adminuser at Computer4
adminuser at computer4's password:
Linux Computer4 4.9.0-6-amd64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Devuan GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Devuan GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Jan 17 10:00:35 2019 from 192.168.0.88

'adminuser' is a user found only in /etc/password

rowland at devstation:~$ ssh rowland at Computer4
Linux Computer4 4.9.0-6-amd64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Devuan GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Devuan GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Jan 18 14:09:37 2019 from 192.168.0.88

'rowland' is a user found only in AD

For a user to log in via ssh, a few things need to be set up:

You need (at least) a line in smb.conf 'template shell = /bin/bash'
You can optional add 'template homedir = /home/%U', this will replace
the default '/home/%D/%U'

You also need to get PAM to create the homedir the first time the user
connects. You do this by adding, to '/etc/pam.d/common-session', this
line:

session    required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022

Rowland