[Samba] In Mac SMB guest access is not working

VigneshDhanraj G vigneshdhanraj.g at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 07:31:07 UTC 2019

Hi Rowland,

Below are the smb.conf which used in both 4.7 and 4.9

Global] available= yes restrict anonymous= 0 Workgroup= SAM netbios name=
x2 realm= SAM.COM <http://sam.com/> password server= 192.168.1.14, * idmap
backend= tdb idmap uid= 5000-9999999 idmap gid= 5000-9999999 idmap config
SAM  : backend= rid idmap config  SAM  : range= 10000000-19999999 security=
ADS name resolve order= wins host bcast lmhosts client use spnego= yes dns
proxy= no winbind use default domain= no winbind nested groups= yes inherit
acls= yes winbind enum users= yes winbind enum groups= yes winbind
separator= \\ winbind cache time= 300 winbind offline logon= true template
shell= /bin/sh kerberos method= secrets and keytab map to guest= Bad User
host msdfs= yes strict allocate= no encrypt passwords= yes printcap name=
lpstat printable= no load printers= yes max smbd processes= 500 getwd
cache= yes use sendfile= yes winbind sequence directory= /tmp/samba log
level= 0 max log size= 50 unix extensions= no dos charset= ascii state
directory= /mnt/system/samba/system cache directory= /tmp/samba/ ntlm auth=
Yes winbind expand groups= 1 idmap config * : backend= tdb idmap config * :
range= 3000-7999

here used map to guest = Bad User. So previously able to connect smd as
guest. After upgrade to 4.9 unable to guest as only in mac. Able to connect
the share from linux machine using smbclient.

i had no clue for the behavioral change. I need to retain the previous
behavior as such in 4.7.

Thanks