[Samba] Bluesound violating Samba GPLv3

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Dec 5 16:59:40 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 09:12:32AM -0500, Margo Alharazy wrote:
> Hi, More that 90 days ago I asked Bluesound support for ssh access or a
> method to replace the samba binaries on my Node 2i
> <https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/>.   At first they said they would
> not support this, so I pointed out the GPLv3 obligation, then they said
> someone from software development team would look into it.  No one has got
> back to me after 90 days.

Hi Margo,

Are you sure they're using Samba in this unit ?

It's a client music access box, so they may just
be using the Linux kernel SMB1/2/3 client, not
Samba.

The Linux kernel is under GPLv2, so although
they owe you source code for this they don't
have to give you replacability. That's one of
the advantages of GPLv3 (and one of the reasons
Samba is GPLv3, not GPLv2).

There are also many proprietary SMB2/3 client
implementations they may be using.

You need to determine what exact SMB access
method they're using before you can insist on
source code access.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.