[Samba] vfs_recycle disables permissions inheritance on AD DC shares

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 21:49:39 UTC 2019

On 02/12/19 17:35, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 02/12/2019 17:17, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:
>>
>> On 02/12/19 16:53, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>>> On 02/12/2019 16:24, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:
>>>>

>> </snip>

>>> You are probably correct, but where to put it ???
>>
>> The following man page is the one I read several times when things
>> started to get hairy and I narrowed things down to issues with vfs
>> recycle - and where I was looking for some enlightening notes on the
>> subject:
>>
>> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_recycle.8.html
>>
>> Something along the lines of:
>>
>> "vfs objects = recycle
>>
>> Please note that the config line above will reset the vfs objects
>> already configured, which can have unintended consequences, specially
>> when Samba is configured in AD mode. To avoid this, the recycle module
>> should be added to existing vfs objects (... with some suitable
>> instructions on how to find out which existing vfs modules are
>> configured by default, maybe)"
>>
>> Maybe something like the above?
>> </snip>
>>
> Possibly for 'recycle', but this would happen for any 'vfs object' added
> to a DC that didn't list the defaults (it also applies to Unix domain
> members, where listing 'vfs objects' in a share, overrides any set in
> [global])

Hmm - in that case, maybe some sort of syntax to be able to add to the
existing vfs objects without re-declaring them specifically, or knowing
which they are. Such as:

vfs objects = $objects recycle

or

vfs objects += recycle

I can think of a few other pieces of software which use a similar
configuration syntax to add extra arguments to a previously configured
option. Ford example Dovecot uses the first style of syntax.

The slight extra complication is that Samba allows spaces in the names
of variables, but then uses spaces as list separators as well, so it's
not possible to have:

vfs objects = $vfs objects recycle

If the syntax is updated as per above, the man pages for all vfs modules
would have to be updated as well, I suppose.