[Samba] Problem in viewing server hostname when browsing network

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 2 10:38:14 UTC 2019

On 02/12/2019 09:48, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:
> I've setup a Ubuntu16.04 server with Samba 4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.23.
Samba 4.3.11 is EOL from Samba's point of view, can I suggest upgrading
to 18.04 and using the Samba packages from here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
> Everything works fine except for a little problem with reverse "name resolution": when browsing computer in the networks the server is displayed as IP address instead of the configured hostname. All the PCs are displayed with name, only the server has the IP. [1]
> Accessing the server via \\hostname works perfectly.
> It looks like a DNS problem, but I didn't manage to find out the problem. Any hint on where to look at would be helpful, thanks.
>
> Samba config:
> [global]
>      server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
So, you are using bind9 instead of the internal dns server.
>      realm = domain.lan
>      ldap server require strong auth = no
>      netbios name = SERVER7
>      workgroup = DOMAIN
>      server role = active directory domain controller
>      log level = 5
>      idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>      log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>      ea support = yes
Remove the line above
> [users]
>      path = /home/users/
>      read only = no
> [profiles]
>      comment = Users profiles
>      path = /home/profiles
>      read only = no
>      browsable = no
What happened to '[netlogon]' & '[sysvol]' ?

> BIND is configured manually. This is the BIND config for the 10.0.0 zone:

And there is most likely your problem, you have broken your dns, the
zones are stored in AD. Try reading this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_BIND_DNS_Server

> It happens from all computers.
>
> C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN>nslookup server7.domain.lan
> Server:  samba.domain.lan
Why isn't 'server7' replying ?

Probably because of the incorrectly set up dns.

Rowland