[Samba] Samba4 on Ubuntu 18.04 Howto setup ADDC with bind9_DLZ (extra part 4.8.1 samba)

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue May 15 23:22:10 UTC 2018

Sorry to bother you more, Louis...
Can you take a quick whack at this?

---
> So, I'm curious about the contrast between modifying netplan vs
> simply disabling systemd.resolved
>
> Is there some advantage to the gyrations to make netplan work, vs
> simply disabling resolved and manually defining the IP and DNS
> server?
---

I'd honestly prefer disabling systemd.resolved - but would like to understand your way of doing it better, so I can make an informed choice.

Thanks [and sorry all for the thread drifting from strictly Samba stuff...]
-Greg

LPHvBvs> Hai,

LPHvBvs> And yes, i can confirm that Rowland is correct about my point of view.
LPHvBvs> I'll also explain a bit why so people can understand my thoughts.

LPHvBvs> I install a server as minimal as possible, yes, you might
LPHvBvs> miss some packages, but you can install these after the base setup.
LPHvBvs> The Why is, This saves a lot of space, unneeded
LPHvBvs> updates/upgrade of packages you dont use and it results in a more stable server.

LPHvBvs> I setup with, at least i try to, as less as possible of
LPHvBvs> adjustment of the default config files and try to stay in
LPHvBvs> line with the thoughts of the developers.
LPHvBvs> The Why is, and you upgrade packages or the OS upgrade,
LPHvBvs> lesser problems and lesser you need to upgrade to quicker and
LPHvBvs> more save for unattended upgrade.
LPHvBvs> Because if this all my servers run with unattended upgrades.
LPHvBvs> Daily all packages, kernel reboot needed, in the weekends.

LPHvBvs> This is why i dont care about sysv services systemd
LPHvBvs> whatever, use it how to os is designed.
LPHvBvs> And if you dont like it, .. ( sorry for the example ) like
LPHvBvs> Rowland and systemd, he switched to Devuan.
LPHvBvs> A Debian version but without systemd.

LPHvBvs> I dont like Ubuntu, but i do like Debian.
LPHvBvs> You think, but its the same, no, totaly not, yes, same
LPHvBvs> packages, but not the same in how the system runs.
LPHvBvs> A good example is how the resolving is done, the "unneeded"
LPHvBvs> packages ubuntu installs which only slows down your system.

LPHvBvs> My vision.
LPHvBvs> Servers, Debian stable, no gui as minimal as possible.
LPHvBvs> * A note, companies might need, ubuntu or RedHat due to
LPHvBvs> hardware/software support and regulations.

LPHvBvs> Desktop, Debian stable/Ubuntu Desktop/Ubuntu Mate/Mint
LPHvBvs>         Regular user, keep the desktop defaults.
LPHvBvs>         user like me, install the minimal desktop.

LPHvBvs> Media server, kodi/plex etc, Ubuntu server.
LPHvBvs>         Debian is getting better here, but i have not tested that.

LPHvBvs> Above is based on almost 20 years linux use.
LPHvBvs> Just shareing my thoughs here about the how and why i use my linux.

LPHvBvs> Questions, just ask me.

LPHvBvs> Greetz,

LPHvBvs> Louis