[Samba] [4.5.12] "guest account" doesn't work

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Wed May 9 14:18:33 UTC 2018

It looks like "service samba reload" and/or not disconnecting from
Windows explains the problem I had.

After…

1. Using this, with no need for "force user" at the share level:

[global]
map to guest = Bad User
guest account = www-data

2. Running "/etc/init.d/samba restart"

… I can a) connect, and b) write files as www-data, as expected.

The reason I use the init.d script is because of this:

~# service samba reload
[ ok ] Reloading smbd configuration (via systemctl): smbd.service.
~# service samba restart
Failed to restart samba.service: Unit samba.service is masked.

Thank you.