[Samba] DKIM, DMARC, mailman. Oh Joy!

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 28 18:11:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 06:51:50 +1300
Andrew Bartlett via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 19:28 +0200, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> > *every* single message from this mailing list has a reply-to header
> > to the poster, independent who is the poster, no other mailing-list
> > on planet earth has a reply-to-header - it's that simple - period
>
> So, e-mail is hard these days, and mailing list e-mail is even harder.
>
> Read up about the interactions between DKIM, DMARC and mailing lists
> here:
> https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DKIM
>
> Either we change the From (and so need to set a Reply-To otherwise it
> becomes impossible to do a private reply, which is needed sometimes)
> or we get every google user booted off the list whenever a yahoo user
> posts.
>
> It sucks all round.  Samba uses the last option listed in the table
> there.

are you sure about that Andrew ?

If I log into Mailman and go to 'Reply-To: header munging' it tells me
that we aren't removing any existing 'Reply-To' headers and replies to
list messages are directed to 'Poster', which, on the face of it,
sounds like it is adding 'Reply-To' headers, but the 'help' says this:

This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in
messages flowing through this mailing list. When set to Poster, no
original message, it is not stripped. Setting this value to either This
list or Explicit address causes Mailman to insert a specific Reply-To:
header in all messages, overriding the header in the original message
if necessary (Explicit address inserts the value of reply_to_address).

This, to me, says we don't add or remove 'Reply-To' headers

Rowland