[Samba] Error removing Windows DC from AD

Pietro Stäheli pietro.staeheli at ngworx.ag
Fri Jun 22 14:55:11 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 20/06/2018 20:38, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> To be clear, we don't replicate sysvol, you need to work that out
> yourself (yes, this sucks).

Right, I'm doing that with Robocopy from the Windows DC initially, then
with rsync.

>> Is there any further preparation I need to do on the Windows server side
>> to make a clean demotion possible? I can force the removal of the
>> Windows DC but this led to leftover data in the LDAP database and DNS
>> that I have to excise by hand, which I don't find ideal.
>>
>> I'm thankful for any advice on how to accomplish this.
>
> samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server

Unfortunately this causes the following error:

# samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=DC
Removing nTDSConnection: CN=6e15b4f5-1863-4259-8817-c7835ed7815e,CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
Removing nTDSDSA: CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=DC,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan
(and any children)
ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - subtree_delete: Unable to delete a
non-leaf node (it has 1 children)!
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 176, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line
721, in run
     remove_dc.remove_dc(samdb, logger, remove_other_dead_server)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/remove_dc.py", line 422,
in remove_dc
     remove_dns_account=True)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/remove_dc.py", line 350,
in offline_remove_ntds_dc
     remove_dns_account=remove_dns_account)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/remove_dc.py", line 229,
in offline_remove_server
     samdb.delete(server_dn)
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x560a67adb490] on
tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb

(never mind that this is now on DC1, not DC3, I've torn down the test
environment a few times)

Manual removal of
'CN=DC,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=lan'
in ADSIEdit didn't go well and caused all replication to break at some
point. I must be missing something here but I can't quite figure out
what exactly.

Best regards,
Pietro Stäheli