[Samba] Problem joining a samba DC to a windows domain

Tim Beale timbeale at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Jun 22 05:28:17 UTC 2018

On 22/06/18 15:28, Tom Diehl via samba wrote:
> Would it make sense to add a warning to the wiki until there is a better
> solution?
That's a good idea.

> Is this something that can be done while the 2008 SP2 DC is still on line
> or should I wait until after it is retired?
If both the samba 4.8 DC and the Windows 2008 SP2 DC remain in the
network long-term, then there's a chance that the periodic replication
on 4.8 could hit the same problem and fail. Although there's a lower
likelihood of this happening once the DC has joined. (For the problem to
happen, Samba 4.8 needs to receive the new link information before it
receives the new object. During a join, there's a fairly good chance of
this happening. During replication, you'd either need to have a lot of
changes happen to your DB all of a sudden, or have had replication
disabled/broken).