[Samba] Failed to establish your Kerberos Ticket cache due time differences with the domain controller

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 15:40:58 UTC 2018

Thanks for that.

> > > Remove the following lines, they shouldn't be in a DC
> > >  From here:
> > > To here.
> > >
> > > If you have chrony (or ntp) running, then you don't need another
> > > time server (I take it 'systemd-timesyncd' is a time server,
> > > wouldn't know, I do not use systemd)
> > >

> > The service 'systemd-timesyncd' is a time client and not a time
> > server.
> >
> > https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-
> timesyncd.service.html
> >

> This quote from the above link "The systemd-timesyncd service
> specifically implements only SNTP", means it isn't any good for a DC.
>
> Rowland

Ok, have edited the  smb.conf and removed the fake-hwclock and disabled the systemd-timesyncd service (as I assume chrony will set the DC's clock as well as providing the time server for domain computers?) but the problem remains.     When I log in (via ssh) I get the above message (as in the subject) and the following is logged in the log.wb-MICROLYNX file:

[2018/07/21 16:37:52.194656,  1] ../source3/libads/authdata.c:175(kerberos_return_pac)
  kinit failed for 'roy at MICROLYNX.ORG' with: Clock skew too great (-1765328347)

Yet the system time is correct.   Where is it getting time from?

Roy