[Samba] Samba4 AD cannot see machines in windows browser

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:07:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM Alberto Moreno <portsbsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:59:25 -0700
>> Alberto Moreno via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Moreno, see inline comments:
>>
>> > Hi

>> > Now, who manage the machine list in the network?
>>
>> The DNS server on the DC
>>

> Got it.

>> > Yes, I stop first and latter start the service.
>>
>> Then it should work, unless nothing happened over log level 2 ;-)
>>

> Got it.

>> > Just to understand, in samba NT4 domain, the recommendation was that,
>> > must exist only 1 network browser in the network, them we had to turn
>> > off this service(computer browser) under windows machines, because
>> > this service conflict with samba, the reason was that those machines
>> > will try to became master/local browser in the domain and start
>> > sending packets all over the network which is traffic unnecessary.
>> >
>> > With samba4 AD setup, the rule continue or I was wrong?
>>
>> Ye, the rule continues for Unix domain members, but there is no
>> browsing of Samba AD DC's, they will not show up in a Windows Browser,
>> you should use DNS instead. You should also be aware that Windows is
>> moving away from network browsing.
>>

> Got it.

>> > I install samba4 from src(make && make install).
>>
>> OK, just checking ;-)
>>

> :-).
>
> > Thanks for your help Penny.
>> >

>> Please do not refer to me by my surname.
>>

> My apologies, my mistake.
>

>> Rowland
>>
>> --
>>
> --
> LIving the dream...

I setup DNS as backend which is running under the same server.

I have done my test like the wiki and works.

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.MBX.LOCAL.
_ldap._tcp.MBX.LOCAL has SRV record 0 100 389 mbxdc1.mbx.local.

host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.MBX.LOCAL.
_kerberos._udp.MBX.LOCAL has SRV record 0 100 88 mbxdc1.mbx.local.

 host -t A MBXDC1.MBX.LOCAL.
MBXDC1.MBX.LOCAL has address 192.168.1.5

But if I query a client won't answer:

host -t A MBX-TEST1.MBX.LOCAL.
Host MBX-TEST1.MBX.LOCAL. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I have run

samba_dnsupdate --verbose

But don't see my  clients.

What else do I need to allow bind to record my clients?

Looks like I had follow the wiki all the way.

In what stage does bind record the new machine?

Thanks for your help.
--
LIving the dream...