[Samba] Samba4 AD cannot see machines in windows browser

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 19:59:25 UTC 2018

Hi Penny.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:16:56 -0700
> Alberto Moreno via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm continuing learning samba4.
> >
> > I had add some machines to the domain, windows 10 Pro.
> >
> > But I open windows browser and don't see my domain and my machines.
> >
> > Is normal with samba4?
>
> Depending on how you set up Samba, yes and no.
>

> > My smb.conf
> >
> > # Global parameters
> > [global]
> >         netbios name = MBXDC1
> >         realm = MBX.LOCAL
> >         server role = active directory domain controller
> >         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> > drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
> >         workgroup = MBX
> >         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> >         log level = 5
> >
> > [netlogon]
> >         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/mbx.local/scripts
> >         read only = No
> >
> > [sysvol]
> >         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> >         read only = No
>
> Ah, it is an AD DC, so the answer is definitely yes, there is no
> browsing with a Samba AD DC.

Now, who manage the machine list in the network?

> > Other thing, I try to increase my log level, but samba won't accept,
> > it continue with log level = 2.
>
> Did you restart Samba after making the change ?

Yes, I stop first and latter start the service.

> > My windows machines had the computer browser service off and fw off.
>
> How do you expect to use a browser service that is turned off ?
> Not that it will help if you do turn it on.

Just to understand, in samba NT4 domain, the recommendation was that, must
exist only 1 network browser in the network, them we had to turn off this
service(computer browser) under windows machines, because this service
conflict with samba, the reason was that those machines will try to became
master/local browser in the domain and start sending packets all over the
network which is traffic unnecessary.

With samba4 AD setup, the rule continue or I was wrong?

> > Samba version 4.7.8 CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
>
> How did you provision an AD DC using Centos packages, I thought you
> still couldn't use them for a DC.

I install samba4 from src(make && make install).

Rowland

> --

Thanks for your help Penny.

--