[Samba] Changing expired Samba AD password during Windows login

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:52:54 UTC 2018

I can only share my experience:

domain with only samba DC's (started from samba 4.4 updated to 4.7 in
the meantime), windows clients (vista, 7, 8.1 and 10) no problem
whatsoever, passwords are changed every X days, and users have no
problem with the procedure (prompt "your password has expired" -> user
enters new password -> "you password was changed" -> OK) and that's it.

Only samba-tool was used to enforce password policy, I didn't need to
set anything in GPO in order to make it work.

Only thing that is coming to my mind is maybe an issue with kerberos? I
know for a fact, that windows since august 2016 requires kerberos to
change expired password. Other than this I'm sorry.