[Samba] Fwd: Migrating server

Rob Thoman emailthomasrob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:41:43 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

We decided to install LDAP on Samba Classic's existing DC (only one in the
first stage).  To do so we did the following
- Installed slapd, ldap-tools, smblad-tools
- dpkg-reconfigure slapd
- ldapwhoami -H ldap:// -x, gave us anonymous
- Stopped the samba service
- Added the following to smb.conf
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://sam3dc.mydomain/
idmap backend = ldap://sam3dc.mydomain/
  ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=mydomain
  ldap delete dn = no
  ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
  ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Hosts
  ldap passwd sync = yes
  ldap suffix = dc=mydomain
  ldap user suffix = ou=Users
ldapsam:trusted = yes
ldapsam:editposix = yes
ldap ssl = start tls
ldap passwd sync = yes
- Removed the bit about tdbsam being the backend
- Started samba

We're getting the following errors

root at sam3dc:/etc/smbldap-tools# pdbedit -Lv
Ignoring unknown parameter "dns forwarder"
smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=MYDOMAIN))]
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Protocol error
Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Protocol error
Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Protocol error
Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!
add_new_domain_info: failed to add domain dn=
sambaDomainName=MYDOMAIN,dc=mydomain with: Invalid DN syntax
        invalid DN
smbldap_search_domain_info: Adding domain info for MYDOMAIN failed with
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
pdb_init_ldapsam: WARNING: Could not get domain info, nor add one to the
domain
pdb_init_ldapsam: Continuing on regardless, will be unable to allocate new
users/groups, and will risk BDCs having inconsistent SIDs
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Protocol error
Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!

root at sam3dc #  ldapsearch -x
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1
root at sam3dc/etc/smbldap-tools# cd /etc/smbldap-tools/
root at sam3dc/etc/smbldap-tools# ldapsearch -x
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

The /etc/ldap/ldap.conf has the following
#
# LDAP Defaults
#

# See ldap.conf(5) for details
# This file should be world readable but not world writable.

#BASE   dc=jellinbah
#URI    ldap://sam3dc.mydomain ldap://sam3dc.mydomain:666

#SIZELIMIT      12
#TIMELIMIT      15
#DEREF          never

# TLS certificates (needed for GnuTLS)
TLS_CACERT      /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

root at sam3dc # smbldap-populate
Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at /usr/share/perl5/
smbldap_tools.pm line 1423, <DATA> line 522.
Unable to open /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf for reading !
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 30.

The file in question doesn't even exist. Any ideas?

Also, in one of the samba list articles, I read that we'll need to run
pdbedit -i tdbsam -e ldapsam to import the info from tdb to ldap. When do
we do this one?

Thank you