[Samba] "lanman auth" question

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 22:49:04 UTC 2017

lanman should always be disabled.  use "testparm -v" to make sure the
settings are applied as you expect.  With different samba versions, the
defaults may change.

I don't think you can disable ntlmv1 but leave ntlmv2 enabled.  I could
be wrong.          NTLMv2 is stronger.     And I think clients will
negotiate the strongest common protocol.      If you are in a small
network where you can see what is getting added, and you are using
ethernet switches (not ethernet hubs) to minimize packet capture, you
should be OK.     (unless you are designing the next stealth
fighter.)     Best practices would dictate NTLMv2 if possible.

I would try disabling lanman, leaving ntlm enabled and see if the xerox
works.