[Samba] XP auto enrollment error; TEMP profile

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Mon Oct 2 05:25:49 UTC 2017

On 10/01/2017 10:03 PM, Reindl Harald (mobile) via samba wrote:

> Am 02.10.2017 um 06:35 schrieb ToddAndMargo via samba:
>> M$'s patches/updates can be miserable and cause all kinds
>> of havoc.  It is a judgment call on when and how to install
>> M$'s patches/updates.  It is best to make sure you have a good
>> anti-virus updated and running.  Your AV is where most
>> of your protection comes from, not M$ with its miserable
>> track record for security.  And use a "real" firewall
>
> sorry, but everybody in the security business when he is not developer
> of snakeoil aka anti-virus will tell you the exactly opposite

Hi Reindl,

And those in the business of hawking FUD (Fear Uncertainty
and Doubt).  The more knowledgeable sources actually have
discussion on the particulars.

> there is nothing like a "good anti-virus" which will protect you from new treats, new incarnations slip through signatures before new signatures are published and nothing to protect you from targeted attacks

Absolutely true.  Nothing can protect you from a zero day attack.
With the best anti viruses you are one hour away from protection.
With the worst, you are up to a week.  Av-comparatives is a good
place to research such.

> also i wouldn't make a bet that windows XP has the highest priority in testing and composing new signatures

If they are supporting XP, it is all the same process.  No difference.

> sorry but to say it clear: to think a anti-virus can replace a solid operating system is a naive and dangerous attitude

Uhhh,   Why do you not look at infections rates instead of
marketing FUD.  WannaCry did not even touch XP.

Not looking at this from an infection rate standpoint and,
instead, believing what the marketing weasels at M$ tell
you is far more dangerous in my technical opinion.

> with some luck malware was not tested on XP and won't run by luck because of the too small usrbase these days but when that is your security strategy you better install win98 because XP is not old enough and too similar to win7

Security through obscurity.  Also bear in mind that M$ makes it
easy for the bad guys (WannaCry for example).

That XP is so insecure is a lot of FUD.  Again, look at the
infection rates if you want to know what that truth is and
not marketing FUD.

Here is a good (older) article:

https://www.csoonline.com/article/2128503/data-protection/windows-7-malware-infection-rate-climbs--xp-s-falls.html

If security is your issue, start by not using Windows.

-T