[Samba] Join a subdomain DC to a domain DC

Elias Pereira empbilly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 20:51:19 UTC 2017

Yes, as I mentioned, I will use another dns domain. :)

In the old domain was provisioned with the option --use-rfc2307. I believe
that it is the attributes that you mention? If so, can I migrate the users
to the new DC, so that they have the same ID?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:59:13 -0200
> Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to redo my infra using the subdomain.
> >
> > As I've commented before, the file server is together with the DC. I'm
> > going to separate it, because I think it's a good practice.
> >
> > My question is if I could re-use the old DC that already has an
> > integrated file server for this purpose or is it still better to set
> > up a new server, re-configure folders and shares, etc?
> >

> Whilst you can re-use the old DC as a fileserver, you should be aware
> if you provision another DC using a new DNS domain, it will be
> precisely that, a new DC. This means that unless you have added
> RFC2307 attributes your users and groups in the old domain, they will
> not get the same IDs in the new one.
> You will have to change the old DNS domain to the new one.
> You will also have to remove every trace of the old DC
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Elias Pereira