[Samba] Samba as BDC: unable to write on shared folders

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 2 17:20:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 17:40:51 +0100
Roberto Spedale - Studio Progetto Ambiente via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I use Samba as a PDC (non-AD-style) on the server n°1.
> I have successfully created a BDC  on the server n°2.
> I followed the official guide SAMBA
> (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-bdc.html)

Can I ask why you are setting up an NT4-style domain, you do know that
Windows made them EOL quite a long time ago and is trying to make them
hard to use with the newer versions of Windows.

Also, the howto that you refer to is extremely old is not recommended
anymore.

> On servers n°2 I have also transferred the users database from the
> server n° 1
> (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-move-migrate-user-accounts-old-to-new-server/)
>
> When I turn off the PDC my clients connect properly to the BDC.
> But I can not write in the shared folders!! Shared folders are the
> same and with the same permissions of the server 1 (I used rsync -ra
> to backup them). The permissions seem ok but I can not write. I get
> the error "to perform the operation the" permission is needed.
> I've also changed the logon on the BDC.
> What tests can I do to figure out where is the problem?
> many thanks

Can you post the smb.conf files from the PDC & BDC.

Rowland