[Samba] Samba printserver works for Win10 Pro but not Win10 Home edition

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 11 13:55:42 UTC 2017

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 14:56:44 +0200
Kjetil Fleten via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thanks Marc,
>
> I can see your point. The Samba version we used, is 4.3.11-Ubuntu.
>
> I have not found any newer package for Ubuntu. We have found no other
> way to upgrade this, than to download 4.6.3, then make, make install
> and .configure. We have followed this guide:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Debian_.2F_Ubuntu.
> Anyway, it states "Please note, this will produce a build without a
> default smb.conf."
>
> True ! Then what ?

Does it really matter if you do not get a default smb.conf, you already
have one from your old set up. It may require updating, so I suggest
you post it.

> The new install is not found. The path to the new samba installation
> does not match the one of the samba package in Ubuntu. We have
> successfully started the new version of Samba by removing the Ubuntu
> package, reboot, and then issue:
>
> PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/samba/bin:/usr/local/samba/sbin

Sorry, but this is the wrong way round, it should be:

PATH="/usr/local/samba/bin:/usrlocal/samba/sbin:$PATH"

> Anyway, the smb.conf file that we copied out from the Ubuntu
> installation are not read by the new version. Most likely because we
> have not copied it to the right folder. We have copied it into many
> locations: /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf, /etc/samba/smb.conf,
> /usr/share/samba/smb.conf, /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

It needs to go in '/usr/local/samba/etc/'

> Nothing works :'(
>
> When using the Ubuntu package and smb.conf located in /etc/samba,
> everything except Windows 10 Home edition works (because then version
> 4.6.x is not running). What are the steps necessary to be taken to
> swap from Ubuntu package to Samba built by ./configure command ?

For a standalone server not connected to a domain, basically what you
have posted.

Rowland