[Samba] Upgrade of Samba from 4.4.6 to 4.5.4

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 18 19:30:20 UTC 2017

Am 18.01.2017 um 20:23 schrieb Matthew Delfino:

>> On 2017.01.18, at 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> Am 18.01.2017 um 20:01 schrieb Matthew Delfino via samba:
>>> UPDATE: These commands seem to have addressed my problem, but I don’t know if it’s a lame or elegant hack:
>>>
>>> ln -s /usr/lib/libwbclient.so.0.13 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwbclient.so.0.13
>>> cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
>>> rm libwbclient.so.0
>>> ln -s libwbclient.so.0.13 libwbclient.so.0
>>
>> looks extremely dirty and fragile
>
> Yeah. It does. It is.
>
>> people really should really learn to build packages which either *cleanly* install far away from the system (/usr/local/) or just override distribution packages with a higher internal version
>>
>> such packages install any needed symlinks and file as needed and whenever you have to enter the command "ln" manually your package is wrong
>>
>> no idea how to build on Debian, on Redhat systems rpmbuild is not hard to learn and works over many years and dist-upgrades without issues
>
> Well, it’s always worked on Ubuntu before. Maybe my configuration is just odd enough that I stumbled upon a bug?

it seems to work but "Make install" typically don#t remove orphaned
files no longer needed while packages contain clean lists and just stop
to build if the definitions are not clean or "make install" to the
virtual root within the buildprocess creats unexpected files/diretories

the package manager is your strongest tool on a linux system - use it