[Samba] smbclient in tar mode - no messages about files

Claus Misfeldt misfeldt at gmx.de
Wed Jan 4 20:04:06 UTC 2017

I switched over from FreeBSD to Debian/Jessie - samba 4.2.
On FreeBSD I used smblient in tar-mode to transfer files to another host. smbclient used to print the names of the files extracted on the remote host. I piped this to tee for logging.
On Jessie this behaviour has vanished. There is only one message left that gives information about the server that I'm connecting to.
I set the loglevel to 2 which increases the amount of output, but the filenames still are not named.
How can I get back to the former behavior of smbclient?

Regards
Claus