[Samba] Fwd: Re: Trust Relationship between this work station and primary domain failed

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 21 15:28:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:15:58 +0700
zhia chandra <bentunx at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi rowland
>

> *OK, you were asked 'Was this pc a member of any NT4 Domain in the
> past?'You replied with:'nope ..'*
>
> well all the pc who had trust relationship problem is new PC with
> windows 7 or earlier .. they never connected to PDC in clear OS
>
> i think i need to tell you my story 3 years ago when i upgraded the
> PDC to samba4 AD , maybe it related or maybe it will be out of topic
>
> we successfully running classic upgrade to move into samba 4 AD,
> and move the Ad into new fresh server machine, and then of course we
> shutdown the samba 3 PDC server base on clear os, and we do rejoining
> all the client .. at that time almost all client is XP maybe only 5
> PC running in win 7
>
> but then we found a problem when master browser was attached to one
> of my pc(laptop) client so when this laptop not online, the other PC
> cannot browse network in windows
>
> after a few digging we found out that we need to build again new
> samba3 act as master browser .. then it solved our problem .. the new
> samba3 master browse version is not the same as samba3 PDC ..

It might have fixed your browsing problem, but it has given you other
ones. Amongst the smb.conf you posted was this line:

domain master = yes

This makes your machine an NT4-style PDC, it is not a standalone server.

For how to set up a standalone server, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

Rowland