[Samba] Not enough storage space error

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Tue Aug 15 02:45:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Sincere apologies for delay in sending the details. After my return, I
fell ill and just recovered.

Find the details below as you had sought.

Total No. of OU : 905

Objects under OU : On an average 10. Each OU contains mainly users.

Total Number of Domain Computers : Now it is 1300, eventually it will
grow to 8500

Total Number of Objects in DB 9005 (As reported by samba-tool dbcheck
--cross-ncs, reports "0" errors)

DB Size : 146 MB at present (That is "DC=ktkbankltd, DC=com.ldb" in
"/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/" folder.)

Total Number of Domain Controller : 2 at Present, we will add two more
shortly.

Hardware configuration (Server with all FSMO Role) : Lenovo Flex System
x240 M5 node with Intel E5-2600 v4 CPU (16 Core), 64 GB Memory and 300
GB HDD, 10Gbps NIC.

Virtual Machine on KVM for Additional Domain Controller : 2 (Virtual
Socket) x 8 Core per Virtual Socket, that is 16 vCore CPU, 32 GB Memory,
100 GB HDD, 1 Gbps Virtual NIC.

OS on which Samba is installed : CentOS 7.3 (build 1611), firewall and
SELinux disabled for the moment.

DNS : BIND 9 (9.9.4 to be precise)

We were moving many users from one OU to another when RSAT kicked us
out. At the same time, in some other location, PCs were getting added to
Domain as members. We kept observing the memory consumption using an
NMS, both memory & CPU utilization never shot up abnormally even when
domain controller kicked us out. Average CPU Utilization is about 3% and
average memory utilization is about 4% of total memory of 64GB.
Initially, as mentioned earlier, we thought this error is happening
because of RSAT on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.  However, the error
surfaced even when RSAT is being used on Windows Server 2008 R2.

smb.conf is attached to this mail.

Sample PC (Workstation), server names, OS versions :

AD-RSAT - Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2008 R2, mainly used for
RSAT and remote support.

BLR064RAJA06 - Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit with SP1

BLR114PADM01 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit with SP1

BLR902BSK307 - Windows XP Professinal SP3 32 bit

MLR495PMRR17 - Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit

KAMAT-PC - Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit with SP1

BLR907KHRO08 - Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

Also we have a Proxy Server (WebSense) and different applications
authenticating against this AD Setup.

@Andrew

We did have a detailed discussion to move from version 4.6.5 to 4.7.
However it was decided that we wait till 5th September, the day on which
the stable version of 4.7 is scheduled to be released. We did setup
4.7rc, but simulating a large network is a challenge. Hence forced to
drop the idea.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava