[Samba] Samba 3.6 to 4.x: User Profile Service Failed the Login

Ian yoitsmeremember at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 14:03:29 UTC 2017

> Nothing really wrong with the [global] portion of your smb.conf (there
> are a few lines I would remove) but I do not see a profiles share. I
> would expect to see something like this:
>
> ... snip ...
>
> What I do see is something that looks like a users home directory
> '[testuser]'

That's correct.  Right now the profiles are being stored in the user's
home directory.  I realize that's probably unusual, but it does simplify
some things, and I've never had an issue with it in Samba 3.  When a
user logs in when running Samba 4, I can see their profile being
downloaded (via smbstatus or logs), and it's only after the profile is
synchronized that the error appears.

If you think that's the cause of the problem, however, I'll attempt to
move them all to a common share.

> It has been quite some time since I used an NT4-style domain, but what
> I have noticed is that it is getting harder and harder to keep them
> working, not from the Samba side, but from the windows side.
>
> One thing I did notice, you are still using the deprecated smbpasswd
> passdb backend.

I agree, I'd love to move to an AD domain, but I'm trying to do small
steps in order to make troubleshooting as simple as possible by doing as
few changes as possible.  My plan was first to go from 3 to 4, then to
move from passdb to tdbsam, and then to move from NT4 to AD.

> Finally, it could be down to windows updates, try adding this to your
> smb.conf:
>
> server max protocol = NT1

Thanks, I'll give this a try shortly.

- Ian