[Samba] Failed to find sambaDomain object to get sambaAlgorithmicRidBase

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 30 13:26:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 08:50:20 -0400
Bernard Fay via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I didn't use smbldap-populate. I used ldif files to add groups to
> LDAP with ldapadd.
>
> You have rather good questions, NT4 or AD style, I don't know.  I am
> a Unix guy with very few knowledge in Windows stuff and I try to stay
> away from it as much as I can. I have been asked to setup a new LDAP
> directory with Samba passwords stored in this LDAP directory.
>
> I base my work on an actual LDAP and Samba server that is working in
> our environment.  This server as role ROLE_STANDALONE.  I also use
> recipe found on Internet.
>
> If you can point me to a recipe for an AD DC, I will try it. But what
> is the actual difference between both?
>
> I also seriously think about splitting LDAP and samba, no integration
> at all between both.
>
> Thanks,

OK, brief history of windows and sharing data:

First there was dos, virtually standalone computers, then came windows.
This had better file sharing capabilities, but you needed to create the
same users and groups on all computers, so didn't scale well if you had
a large amount of computers, this was know a workgroup.

This lead to the NT4-style domains, where authentication was
centralised on a PDC, you could also have a BDC in case of PDC failure.
This was better, but still had problems.

Finally Active Directory was created, with this, all DCs are equal, you
can have SSO and is what microsoft now expects windows machines to
connect to.

As to which Samba setup to use, it would help to know if your users
are already members of an AD domain, if not, what is your basic setup ?

Rowland