[Samba] Domain Member Server: Domain Users cannot access shares

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 08:59:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 23:38:19 -0400
Jason Secord via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> So it seems that I have identified the source of all of my permissions
> issues, though I'm unclear as to exactly why these problems have
> occurred and would love an explanation if anyone can offer one.
>
> I was using mdadm to create a RAID 1 array, formatting it ext4 and
> storing all of the data that samba was serving on /dev/md0.  The two
> drives that make up the array are hosted by an LSI MegaRaid
> controller, though they are not configured within it's interface.
> After carefully troubleshooting every step in the process of setting
> share permissions and ACLs I decided to create a test share on the
> system drive. I copied one of the problematic directories from the
> raid array to my home folder and was immediately able to access it as
> a Domain User... So something about the RAID array is causing the
> failure.  I've since moved all of the shared data to the system drive
> and am moving on to other tasks but I'd really like to get it moved
> back to the array.
>
> What is going on here?  The system drive is hosted by the same
> controller... I've successfully used RAID arrays and mdadm to host
> shares at other locations.  I'd really love to understand what's
> going awry in this setup.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> JS

Your raid setup may be the main culprit here, but your Samba setup
isn't helping.

Can I suggest a few alterations ?

Remove the gidNumber from these groups:

group policy creator owners
enterprise admins
schema admins
dnsadmins

Remove the uidNumber from this user:

administrator

Add this line to smb.conf:

username map = /etc/samba/user.map

Then create the user.map

nano /etc/samba/user.map

!root = PHM\Administrator PHM\administrator Administrator
administrator

Remove all the instances of 'admin users' & 'valid users' from the
shares. Use Windows ACLs instead, see here for more info:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs

Try running 'getfacl /mnt/md0/samba_shares/Accounts'

Rowland