[Samba] Problem with one User after upgrade to 4.5.0

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Oct 9 17:50:42 UTC 2016

> Have you by any chance got another 3001108 'xidNumber' in idmap.ldb ?
> If you give a user a 'uidNumber' attribute, the contents of this will be
> used instead of the 'xidNumber' in idmap.ldb, hence you do not need to
>   (and probably shouldn't) use numbers in the '3000000' range.
I managed to make this right at least for the DC, two Windows 7
Professional boxes, and two CentOS 6 systems. I have one CentOS 6 VM
that doesn't work but it would seem that has to be specific to the VM.
In order to fix the problem I had "accidentally" removed this line

idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

from the DC /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
         server string = Example Active Directory Server
         workgroup = SAMDOM
         realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
         netbios name = DC_EXAMPLE
         server services = -dns
         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces = br0 lo
         encrypt passwords = true
         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
         winbind use default domain = yes
         winbind offline logon = false
         winbind enum groups = yes
         winbind enum users = yes
#        winbind separator = +
         winbind nss info = rfc2307
         map untrusted to domain = no
         template homedir = /home/%U
         template shell = /bin/bash
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/samdom.example.com/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

[Profiles]
         path = /home/Profiles/
         read only = No

[home]
         path = /home
         read only = No

After I added back the missing line everything seemed to work again. The
history to all this is that I am running the sernet-samba packages on a
CentOS 6 system which seem to be not very compatible with sssd.
Therefore I just want winbindd  which is adequate for my purposes. To
that end I tried to follow these wiki pages:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_RFC2307_in_AD

When I provisioned I had done so with rfc2307. So all the NIS
extrensions are there.

So this gets me to the problem at hand. First, there is actually no
3001108 xidNumber in the idmap.ldb. The xidNumber for this particular
user is actually 3000062. For a user that works it turns out I
apparently gave uidNumber = xidNumber = 3001107. I only have two users.
I'm an unclear on what the correct thing to do in this case. Are you
saying that since the xidNumbers are in the "3000000" I should not use
uidNumbers in the same range? How should I "pick" the idmap ranges, the
uidNumbers, etc.? Wouldn't the uidNumbers be independent from the
xidNumbers which is why the addition of the "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 =
yes" in the DC smb.conf fixes the issue?

Also on the member server side I have been using this smb.conf

[global]
    workgroup = SAMDOM
    realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
    server string = Example Samba Server Version %v
    netbios name = EXAMPLE
    security = ads
    bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = br0
    kerberos method = system keytab
    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 1000000-2999999
    idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
    idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config SAMDOM:range = 3000000-40000000
    winbind nss info = rfc2307
    winbind use default domain = true
    winbind offline logon = false
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind enum users = yes

So what should I do at this point? Does it make sense to change the
uidNumbers (possibly the gidNumbers too)? I really would like to make
this right before I try to move the DC to other hardware.
--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)
Cell: (303)257-5208