[Samba] Samba 4, recommended smb.conf options for OS X compatibility

Eric Shell eshell at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:14:15 UTC 2016

I have some issues with OS X 10.10 and 10.11 clients when pointing the at
samba 4 file shares that I haven't been able to address after reading
documentation and searching the mailing lists.  These Mac clients and my
samba server(s) are bound to a Microsoft AD domain.  User home directories
are set in the user AD profiles.  Connecting to a file share directly
always works, so upon login users are connected to their network home
directories.  The trouble starts when people try to use Finder to browse
and connect to other shares.

Sometimes, navigating to the samba server in Finder will appear to work
perfectly, but often it will not list any shares at all, or it will state
that it is disconnected even though a user is still connected to their home
directory share and any other shares they've already mounted.
Disconnecting from the samba server and reconnecting usually doesn't help,
and relaunching Finder is the best option although even that will not
always clear up the problems.  Even when Finder displays the list of
shares, sometimes it will not mount shares when a user selects them, but
shares that they have already mounted will continue to work properly.

I've read about the vfs objects fruit, catia, and streams_xattr, but those
don't seem to be related to browsing as they are all share-specific
settings.  Windows and Linux clients do not have these problems with the
current samba 4 configuration and our samba 3 server works much more
smoothly with OS X clients.

Is there an example configuration that is known to work well with 10.10 and
10.11 OS X clients?  Are there any changes that can be made client-side
that would help?  We really want to eliminate our samba 3 servers but can't
move on until we address the Mac client problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.