[Samba] classicupgrade migration issues

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:27:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> The upgrade code assumes you run on the same host.  I realise now that
> folks doing an upgrade use that an an opportunity to upgrade hardware,
> and keep old systems as fallbacks, so the assumptions cause trouble.

Not just hardware, but software as well. Old host is very out of date
and impossible to get current. Plus new host besides being new
hardware is an entirely different distro.

> Make the new host identical in terms of the data needed to upgrade
> (users/groups/samba databases) upgrade and then remove the posix
> users/groups and use nss_winbind instead.

If it's just going to be an AD (file and printer sharing will be on
another host) is nss_winbind necessary?

Thanks again,

Chris