[Samba] The sad state of samba 4 adaption for home/small business routers.

Andy Walsh andy.walsh44 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:55:17 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison <jra <at> samba.org> writes:

> I'll take a look next week (technically it's my weekend and
> I should be enjoying it, daylight savings time-change notwithstanding .
>
> I'm not sure qemu should be required. I've worked with systems
> getting S4 x-compiled without it - just correct choices in the
> answer files.

The problem is that openWRT/buildroot needs to-be able to support as much
targets as possible in a single package/makefile.
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=target/Config.in
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=tree;f=target/linux

The way openWRT creates images for routers is to cross compile multiple
targets at once and than making the img + cross compiled optional packages
available for download.

New targets are also added frequently, so from a package maintainer point of
view we have no real clue what arch/kernel/basesystem combo we will get, so
preparing answer files seems problematic. Ofc atm we could manually create
files for the most used targets, but the point would be to make the whole S4
cross compile setup fool proof.

Atm you can grab the source from git, do a make menuconfig and all packages
should compile for all platforms/targets.

thx
Andy