[Samba] samba server with two kerberos realms

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 1 22:23:35 UTC 2016

On 01/03/16 21:08, Chad William Seys wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>   Below is output of testparm.  Samba is set up as standalone server.

Sorry but it isn't a standalone server.

> # testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[generic]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

See, even 'testparm' says it isn't.

> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
>         realm = PHYSICS.WISC.EDU
>         server string = %h server
>         server role = standalone server
>         security = ADS
>         map to guest = Bad User
>         pam password change = Yes
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>         syslog = 0
>         max log size = 100000
>         client ldap sasl wrapping = sign
>         dns proxy = No
>         panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>

> [generic]
>
>         path = /srv/smb

Are you using sssd or nslcd ?
If not, where are the idmap & winbind lines ?

Also on a domain member (this is what you have), you cannot use ' unix
password sync', mainly because you can have users etc in AD or in
/etc/passwd, but not both.

To answer your original question, no I don't think you can have two
'Realms'. What you can have are trusts, I suggest you start here to see
how to setup smb.conf correctly:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

Rowland