[Samba] Authentication problem

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Jun 29 15:31:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Rowland penny wrote:

> On 29/06/16 12:48, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>>  Im guessing this has todo with your dhcp options or resolvconf settings or
>>  dhcpclient settings or nsswitch.conf resolv order is changes.
>>  Or did you change /etc/hosts.conf to bind,hosts
>
> Cannot agree with you Louis, AD relies on DNS and as such, the net command
> should be able to find the DC by dns.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf searches the domain and uses the DCs as nameservers, all
> there is in /etc/hosts (apart from ipv6 lines) is
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>
> When I run the same command as the OP (just changing the domain) it works for
> me. I would still be interested in seeing the info I last asked for.

I'm pretty sure AD relies on the OS for name lookups, which means it will
use hosts, DNS, etc, depending on how nsswitch and resolv.conf are
configured...so he may be correct.

BTW, I use bind interfaces only, and I only bind to my external IP.  I
have to use -S servername to run that command, as it defaults to
localhost, even though my Samba does not use localhost at all.

One thing I would check is to make sure bind interfaces only is
working as expected by making sure samba is listening on 127.0.0.1:

# netstat -anp |grep 445.*LISTEN
tcp        0      0 10.10.10.54:445             0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      1571/smbd

In my case it's not, only on 10.10.10.54.