[Samba] Changing default UID/GID beginning for AD

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:38:40 UTC 2016

> On 14/06/16 09:50, mathias dufresne wrote:

>> rpenny at samba.org>>:
>>
>>     On 13/06/16 13:13, mathias dufresne wrote:
>>
>>         I loved to find out how to achieve that.
>>
>>         I did looked for information, all I found was that:
>>
>> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e184d10-09e3-4eab-9131-6694b86879f8/modify-default-value-of-loginshell-attribute?forum=winserverDS
>>
>>         Unfortunately it seems to list all users (I don't know these
>>         MS commands
>>         but "Get-AdUser -Filter"...) then sending that list to
>>         something to modify
>>         received users list ("Set-AdObject -Replace
>>         @{unixhomedirectory='/bin/sh','bin/bash'}" and
>>         https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617215.aspx).
>>

>>     You could always use ldbmodify on the Samba4 DC and the attribute
>>     you need to change for the users login shell is 'loginShell' :-)
>>

>> Yep, MS doc, the dude who wrote that made a mistake, he tried to help at
>> least.
>>

> And you passed the mistake on Mathias ! I was trying to help by pointing
> this out and giving a known working way of changing the contents of the
> 'loginShell' attribute.

And I knew what I was doing. If strings some reader is not able to notice
that "unixhomedirectory" is more certainly related to UNIX Home Directory
than to login shell, I can't do anything for him.

>>         I would have looked into AD schema and configuration DIT (or
>>         naming
>>         context?) but first I did a grep on Samba's source tree
>>         looking for
>>         "/bin/sh" string but that strnig seems to be used for running
>>         commands and
>>         shebangs only, I could easily have missed something anyway.
>>

>>     Try reading
>>
>> /usr/local/samba/share/setup/ad-schema/MS-AD_Schema_2K8_R2_Attributes.txt
>>     Note: the path to your copy may vary.
>>

>> I thought schemas were descriptions of attributes and classes, not places
>> to set values. As I could be wrong, I used grep to read that file:
>> cat `locate MS-AD_Schema_2K8_R2_Attributes.txt` | grep sh -w -> no
>> answer, "sh" (as word) is not present in that file.
>> There is still a chance it is written in configuration DIT but as the
>> same grep was done during the week-end on the whole Samba 4.4.4 source tree
>> without findind more relevant traces of "sh" word, I'm now suspecting the
>> client is the one managing that.
>>

> So you think you will find the content of something that is set on windows
> in the Samba source code ?

No. I tried to find out if it was set from client side or from server side.

> Windows ADUC default content for the 'loginShell' attribute is '/bin/sh'.

How do you know that for sure? Have you a lilnk to pass to us? Anything to
share your knowledge?

> The Samba default content for the 'loginShell' attribute is ' ' ,

Reading that I would understand there is some code to have some default.

> yes that's right, there isn't one!

And that the default value is an empty string.

Did you really meant that? In any case, what make you affirm that? Again,
some link to help us ? To share your knowledge with us?

> You are also correct, 'sh' isn't in the the list of Attributes, because it
> is the content of an attribute, not an attribute.

Useless and obvious, as usual.