[Samba] access denied with "hide dot files = Yes"

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 2 17:58:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 02:23:35PM +0200, samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> I'm not familiar with Windows Servers. Do they provide an option similar to
> "hide dot files"?

No, only the 'hidden' attribute, which is either
set or not. No implicit file name conversion is
done.

> I'd be curious what kind of restrictions these are. I still can't figure
> out why Mercurial complains about "access denied" for certain files,
> whereby I can edit, delete,... the very same files manually without a
> problem.

You don't know what your editor is doing under the covers
without looking at a wireshark trace.

> If I understand this correctly, the stored DOS attributes didn't contain
> the H attribute and this did override (prior to the bug fix) the forced H
> attribute from "hide dot files = yes". But if this was the case, why did
> the Windows Explorer show these files then as hidden?

The stored DOS attributes may or may not have stored
the H attribute. The problem was that the file name
was being ignored when deciding whether to return H
or not - making the parameter non-functional in that
case.