[Samba] smbpasswd stops working post-upgrade

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 2 12:42:11 UTC 2016

On 01/06/16 14:29, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> Background
>
> I have a network of machines behind an air-gap, therefore upgrades are
> a tedious business normally performed four times per year. The systems
> run various versions of CentOS and I use the Samba that is distributed
> with CentOS.  Last weekend I updated the 5.7 machines with updates to
> 18 April 2016, not the current 5.8. Those of my users who run Windows
> boxes (Windows 7 Enterprise) map Samba shares on my machines to a
> drive letter on their PCs. In order to do this they need to keep their
> Samba passwords updated. Samba passwords are held in
> /etc/samba/passdb.tdb.

Try upgrading your OS, 5.7 is very old, 5.11 is the current version and
this goes EOL in March next year and if you look here:
https://wiki.centos.org/Download

You will find this:

** Please note Red Hat's policy on Production Phase 3 for EL5 in the
above support policy. Only those security updates deemed crucial are now
being released upstream for EL5 (so also for CentOS Linux 5) Please read
this Mailing List
<http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2014-November/148008.html>
post for more details. The CentOS team recommends that you start moving
workloads from CentOS-5 to CentOS Linux 6 or CentOS Linux 7.

If you upgrade your OS, your problem may be fixed, but if it isn't, you
stand more chance of getting it fixed.

Rowland