[Samba] Failed to find domain Unix Group

Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth mike at datacontrolsystems.com
Tue Jul 12 21:26:46 UTC 2016

I had the same (or similar) issue on my DCs with the gid being 100 and the
uids being in the 3000000 range.   I'm not sure if you've already set these
in your smb.conf, but the relevant section in mine is:

idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
template shell = /bin/bash   #only needed so AD users can log into the DC
locally
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users  = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

I also have to use the command 'net cache flush' on a semi-regular basis (I
run it via a cron job), or it seems that the DCs will eventually revert
back to the incorrect mappings.  I'm guessing that what happens is that
winbind checks for the rfc2307 value and for some reason it doesn't get a
response and then it adds an entry into the idmap.ldb file.  Winbind then
seems to prefer the idmap.ldb entry over the rfc2307 values.  I'm not sure
about all the details, but it works for me.

Mike E.