[Samba] Error with samba update in debian.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Dec 30 09:10:07 UTC 2016

Hai Rowland,

Simply put,

- UPN: An entity performing client requests to some service.
	Entity may be human or machine.
Source :
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms721629(v=vs.85).aspx#_security_user_principal_name_gly

- SPN: An entity processing requests for a specific service, e.g., HTTP, LDAP, SSH, etc.
	Entity is Machine only.
Source:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms721625(v=vs.85).aspx#_security_service_principal_name_gly

And normaly a UPN retrieves a service ticket for an SPN to use that actual service.

Now how is this a squid problem if samba-tool does not give the options to set an UPN to the machine also.
But this is mainly a Windows KDC and Unix KDC difference but still.

Resulting that in windows terms we need to set the SPN to a machine UPN. Which is always: namehostname$@REALM

Greetz,

Louis