[Samba] NFSv4 acls inheritance flags

Sun May 11 03:22:13 MDT 2014

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 11:17:48AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 09:56:58AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > If you want better integration, you should lobby for Unix
> > file systems to give us something equivalent to alternate
> > data streams. You should be able to openat(2) xattrs of
> > arbitrary size on any file. If Samba gets that, we can talk
> > about better integration :-)
>
> I don't think ADS is ever going to happen, at
> least on Linux.

That's what I wanted to hear!

Samba sits between those two worlds of SMB and Posix and has
to map something. This is one of the points where the
mapping hurts, either in reduced functionality for SMB or in
lack of interop with Posix clients.

The good thing with Samba however is: It gives you the
chance to pick between those two! :-)

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de