[Samba] Samba 3.0 + ADS, winbind problem

Riegel, Bernhard bernhard.riegel at sdm.com
Thu Aug 28 15:48:45 GMT 2003

I'am using Samba 3.0rc1 on a SuSE 8.2 system (heimdal kerberos).
I managed to join a Active Directory REALM, but I have difficulties with
user authentification.
Something may be wrong with my winbind setup:
e.g. I cannot connect from a Windows 2003 Server to a samba share
without being prompted for account and password. Furtheron wbinfo -u
returns "error looking up domain users", but I can't find any debugging
info in the logfiles.
Kerberos seams to work: I can do kinit USER at REALM and "net join ads"
succeeded also. But I did the ADS-join BEFORE configuring winbind
changing the /etc/nsswitch.conf and the /etc/pam.d/samba file according
to the Samba3 winbind manpage. May this be the problem?

Bernhard Riegel                   bernhard.riegel at sdm.de