[Samba] RE: PDC + LDAP + W2K-SP4 Domain logon

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Aug 27 22:02:53 GMT 2003

> Anyway... I found the problem. (but NO SOLUTION!!)
>
> Just to summarize...
> I had a win2k sp2 machine at home and win2k sp4
> machines on my work. I was unable to login my
> samba-pdc (v3 rc2) with the workstations @ work,
> but I was able to connect from my win2k sp2
> machine at home through a VPN connection.
>
> I now took that machine (w2k sp2 -machine from
> home) to my office to test if it would also work
> on the network instead of a vpn connection. and...
> it didn't, it gave the same error as the other
> machines.
>
> In tcpdump I saw the DNS query from
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<MYDOMAIN>. This annoyed me,
> because my workstation from home on VPN didn't do
> this.
>
> Then I came up with the plan to disable my DNS-
> server in my network-settings on my w2k-machines.
> Then I tried to log on to the domain and....
> voila... it worked. When I enable the DNS-server
> again in my configuration I can't login to the
> domain anymore.
>
> I read some things about Native and Mixed -mode
> w2k's. I believe this is the whole problem. W2k's
> are in Native mode looking for Active Directory
> and Samba obviously... not... since it can't.

You are getting closer. Let's verify your server's
and clients' TCP/IP configuration. My server is also
primary DNS and WINS server for my clients. That
means "wins support=Yes" and there is a named running
on the server and its IP address is topmost under both
DNS and WINS tabs of the Advanced TCP/IP properties
box. In addition to that "Enable NetBIOS via TCP/IP"
radio button is set under WINS tab, and under DNS tab
both the radio button "Append primary and connection-
specific DNS suffixes" and the box "Append parent
suffixes of the primary DNS suffix" are set/checked.
The primary DNS suffix is what you enter in System's
tab Network identity->Properties->Advanced in the
field "Primary DNS-Suffix...". The checkbox "Change
DNS-Suffix when changing Domain" is left unchecked.
Works like a charm for all SPs of 2k and XP.