[Samba] Printing problems Win2K SP4 on 3.0.x and 2.x

Paul Richards richards at richards-fam.org
Wed Aug 27 17:27:35 GMT 2003

I'm afraid I am stumped, and need some help or pointers.

Ever since I've "upgraded" my Win2k boxes to SP4, I've been unable to print
to Samba-shared printers (on Solaris and Freebsd).  Originally I was
running
the current 2.2.x, and figured trying to diagnose the problem would provide
an impetus for trying 3.0, which I have from beta3 through RC1.  That bit
of
history is to indicate that sharing *did* work prior to SP4.

>From the Win2k perspective, it cannot open the printer.  I can remove and
install
it, and the wizard completes successfully, but the printer status window
shows in
the title bar "xxx on xxx failed to open, retrying...".  Sometimes it times
out and
then the general Printers window will show in the Status field that
"printer no longer
exists on server" or "opening", but never "ready".  I can open the
properties window,
and see the appropriate properties (can't change anything), but if I try to
print
a test page explorer.exe dies.

>From the Samba server perspective, it looks fine.  I can use smbclient to
connect to
the printer, and spool a file to it.  As mentioned above, the Win2k drivers
were
successfully added and registered (since Win2k picks them up).  There are
errors in
the smbd logs that appear any time a Win2KSP4 box attempts to open the
printer:

[2003/08/26 16:00:48, 0] smbd/ipc.c:reply_trans(569)
  reply_trans: invalid trans parameters
[2003/08/26 16:00:48, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(113)
  error packet at smbd/ipc.c(574) cmd=37 (SMBtrans)
NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

(I've not copied the higher loglevel data yet to save space).

If someone can help, I'd appreciate it.  I have much more detailed error
logs from
the server, and if needed can post exerpts from my smb.conf file.

-Paul