[Samba] Samba PDC and NIS

Samuel R. Waters srw at cs.rit.edu
Wed Aug 27 16:00:29 GMT 2003

Hi Folks-

I've been trying to set up a Samba PDC, and sync it with our NIS passwd
file.  The goal is to allow a brand new lab of PCs running W2k SP4 to
login using our existing NIS setup, and be able to access their home
directories as network drives. I think I've figured out how to do this,
but I wanted to check and make sure it'd work, in theory at least.  I'm
also having an odd problem with the PDC that I'm hoping someone here might
have an answer for...

My setup:
NIS master running Solaris 2.9 and Samba 2.2.8a
NIS client/file server running Solaris 2.9 and Samba 2.2.8a
W2k SP4 PC (single machine at the moment, will be a lab full soon)

First, the passwd sync:
My plan is to grab all the accounts currently in the NIS passwd file, and
add them to the smbpasswd file on the NIS master, then turn unix password
syncing on.  I'll then set up the NIS master to copy the smbpasswd file to
the NIS client every time it's updated.

First...will this work?
Second....does it matter that the NIS passwd file isn't in /etc/passwd?

Next, the PDC:
This is the one that's driving me crazy currently.  I've set up the PDC on
the NIS client, and am just trying to use a temporary smbpasswd file with
a few test and machine accounts on it.  The samba server appears to be set
up correctly-testparm and smbclient seem happy.  From the Windows box in
question, I can connect to the samba server, map shares, and join the
Windows box to the domain.  However, when I try to log into the domain, I
get the error message "The system cannot log you on to the domain because
the system's computer account is missing of the password on that account
is incorrect".  I added the account to the smbpasswd file using "smbpasswd
-a -m machinename", and didn't get an error.  I've also tried changing the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netlogon\parameters\RequireSignorSeal
and the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\EnablePlainTextPassword
registry entries, but to no avail.

Here's my smb.conf file:
[global]

        domain logons = yes
        guest account = smbguest
        logon drive = u:
        logon home = \\frazi.cs.rit.edu\%U
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        workgroup = TESTCS
        netbios name = FRAZI
        server string = %L-Samba %v
        interfaces = 129.21.36.157/255.255.255.0
        syslog = 3
        log file = /var/adm/samba/log.%U
        max log size = 50
        log level = 3
        announce version = 4.2
        name resolve order = lmhosts bcast wins
        debug level = 1
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 15
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        lock dir = /var/spool/locks/samba
        hosts allow = 129.21.
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        path = /home/netlogon

Here are some of the errors I'm getting from the log.nmbd (they repeat,
frequently):

[2003/08/27 11:40:16, 1] nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(69)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 129.21.36.1: code = 0x12
[2003/08/27 11:40:16, 1] nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(69)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 129.21.36.1: code = 0x12
[2003/08/27 11:40:35, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(235)
  find_response_record: response packet id 36001 received with no matching
record.
[2003/08/27 11:40:37, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(235)
  find_response_record: response packet id 33097 received with no matching
record.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Sam Waters

Samuel R. Waters					srw at cs.rit.edu
System Administrator
Department of Computer Science				(585)475-4934
Rochester Institute of Technology