[Samba] Directory references from Windows and UNIX

Roman Volynets Roman.Volynets at rus.sas.com
Wed Aug 27 12:26:36 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have the following question to the experts in Samba and Unix (Sorry if the question looks stupid):

Is it possible using Samba to have identical directory references to some Unix directory from Unix and Windows?

I mean some text string that can be used both on Windows and Unix machines (slashes or back slashes - does not matter) to point to the shared Unix directory.
It seems to me that it is not possible at all, but I may be wrong. Still as I understand the only forms of referencing shared directories on Windows and Unix are as follows:on Windows the string should look like \\hostname\dir, on Unix it can be /dir1/dir2/.../dir

Can Unix understand references like \\hostname\dir?

Thanks,
Roman