[Samba] RE: PDC + LDAP + W2K-SP4 Domain logon

bjorn.padding at ifsaudiovisueel.nl bjorn.padding at ifsaudiovisueel.nl
Tue Aug 26 09:38:18 GMT 2003

> bjorn.padding at ifsaudiovisueel.nl wrote:
>
> >This is strange that it worked for you, because testparm tells me
that
> >if you use "wins support = yes" && "wins server = <wins server IP>"
at
> >the same time, then smbd would not start. Anyway, I tried and it
doesn't
> >work...
> >

> nono you need to read what i said:
>
> >> changing WINS support = yes
> >>

> >>to WINS server = 'ip address', i got the domain thing to work. I
kept
> >>getting the same error you did.
> >>

> > i said 'changing', you cant have both WINS support (this makes Samba
THE
> WINS server) and WINS server (this delegates the WINS support
elsewhere).

Yeah, but that is not the situation, because my Samba PDC _is my
WINS-server.

Thanks for your reply, but I am _SURE_ that it's nothing to do with my
configuration, but with the Windows-2000 SP3.

Since this Services Pack, Windows 2000 looks for an active directory.
Again, I tried from 2 machines now with Windows 2000 SP2 and everything
works just fine. As soon as I apply Service Pack 3, the error:

<snip>
	The following error ocurred validating the name "IFS".
	This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem.
	For information about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems,
	please see the following Microsoft web site:

	The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted.
						[ OK ]
</snip>

And I get the queries for _tcp._ldap.dc._msdcs.IFS. on bind log.

So clearly Microsoft is pushing their "Active Directory" on the
market...
(Good marketing skills those guys, really Microsoft style)

The only way I know how to solve it now is to reinstall all my
workstations with a clean win2k install and stop upgrading till service
pack 2, but ofcourse I do not really prefer this...