[Samba] User directories and groups usage

Cor Lem builder at bulky.ath.cx
Sat Aug 16 12:33:30 GMT 2003

At 12:28 14-8-03 -0700, you wrote:
>Actually, now that I look at what I was writing, I feel pretty embarassed
>actually.
>I did not double check my work in a haste to post the message and run to a
>meeting.
>
>It does look silly really: 770 and 440. :/
[snip]

so is my anwer - I made an error too - (

>Normally, i'm much more fluent with permissions. I was teseting out a few
>things with my samba server recently and had some ideas floating around in
>my head.
>What I wanted to do is make sure any files that are newly created in users
>/home/<user> directory have a specific group assigned to it ( force group
>= <group>)
>as well as certain permissions for the user and group.
>
>However, I do have one question:
>
>What is the difference between create mask and create mode? Are these two
>similar? Nevermind, they are synonyms. :)
>Now, if I wanted to set certain permissions on newly created directories,
>wouldn't I use directory mask or directory mode? For instance:
>
>directory mask = 0660
[snip]

correct - see below ...
(only 660 wil result in a directory which may NOT be entered (not executable))

>>>    force create mode = 770
>>
>>This would make a file readable, writable AND executable for user/group
>>owning the files
>>
>>I would use:
>>create mask = 660
>>This wil not make files executable.

create mask is for FILES

>>>    force directory mode = 440
>>
>>This would make the directory readable only - not executable, so you
>>can't see what's in it and its not writable.
>>
>>I would use:
>>create mask = 0770

my error - I ment directory mask

directory mask is for DIRS

this should be
directory mask = 0770

>>To better understand this have a look at:
>>http://www.ctssn.com/linux/lesson6.html

Hope this clears it up,

Greetz,
Cor Lem