[Samba] Mac "DAVE" server + Linux samba 2.2.8a client = missing first char

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Fri Aug 22 23:20:47 GMT 2003

I'm running stock RH9, which has the samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0 RPM installed
on it.  My friend has a Mac running OSX and the "DAVE" file sharing
software.  I can mount his shared folder using the following command:

  smbmount //tritanium/graphics /mnt/tritanium

...and I can see all the files in that folder when I do "ls
/mnt/tritanium."  But...

The first character of every filename is missing!

For example:  the file named ".DS_Store" shows up as:

  -rwxr-xr-x    1 root        21508 Aug 22 15:21 DS_Store*

The folder named "Cats" shows up as:

  drwxr-xr-x    1 root         4096 Jun 22 12:28 ats/

I STFW for some answers but found none.  I also RTFS (read the fine
source) but could not determine why this was happening.  Any
suggestions on how I can fix it?  Has anyone seen this behavior
before?

Thanks,
Dave