[Samba] Viruses and the list

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Thu Aug 21 00:59:07 GMT 2003

I was forced to put a filter (spambayes) on my list (Lm_sensors) to keep
out most of the garbage.  It's really helped a ton, and I can scan the
'spam' to make sure nothing real got blocked from the rest of the
recipients of the list.

It's pretty easy (I used procmail, spambayes, and a large amount of spam
and normal mail to train it).  It's also easy to refine the training as
time goes on.

In a nutshell, for my main mail server I created a database:

hammiefilter.py -n -d/mypathtothedatabase/hammie.db

Then trained it:

nice mboxtrain.py -d/mypathtothedatabase/hammie.db  -g
/pathtomyGOODmail.mbox -s /pathtomyBADmail.mbox

(You can run the line above as many times as you want with just -g or
just -s or multiples to keep appending to the database)

And then I added the rule to the top of /etc/procmailrc:

:0fw
| /pathtothebins/hammiefilter.py -d /mypathtothedatabase/hammie.db

Finally, the emails will now contain a new header (nothing gets blocked
or modified other than the addition of this header):

ham/unsure/spam refers to the general classification, and 0.00-1.00
refers to the percentage likelihood that it is spam.  From there, you
can filter/forward/etc. in procmail scripts or on the client end, or
whatever you want to do.  You can even create multiple databases to do
levels of classification (e.g. percentage chance that it is a virus, or
that it is from your parole officer, etc.) and use formail to rename the
header after each scan.

I hope this helps.

Phil