[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference intimestamphandling ?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Sat Aug 16 20:19:15 GMT 2003

|> Do you want to say that nobody ever lost any data on
|> ext3-formatted disks? Be realistic.
|>
|> But does it warrant my exhortation to stay away from
|> it? Probably not. It was a joke without a smiley
|> sign. ext3 is probably a solid, though a bit clumsy
|> and slow fs.
|>
|> I appreciate your criticism. I jumped the same way
|> when someone else used the same kind of FUD about
|> reiserfs which I would always recommend over all
|> other.
|
| Agreed,, ext3 is used in lots of situations where
| Reiser would probably be a better choice....
|
| As for nobody loosing data,,, I don't really think
| it matters what Filesystem you have if your system
| decides to stick random bits on the hard drive.
| Staying away from any of them won't help much.

Yes, it's an fs-neutral kind of problem but there are
ways to minimize its impact. My production system is
an expensive SCSI RAID system but I keep a day-old
copy of it on another identically setup box, except
that the disks are lowly IDEs strapped together with
LVM (2-3 times faster than RAID, it restores a tarball
faster than RAID can make it). If something happens to
the production server the backup server can take over
in minutes.